Monday, April 4, 2011

Descent Into Week 2: Sketch-o-potamus

So, given that I knew we'd be needing to dive into gesture type stuff pretty quickly in this term, I've been carting around my sketchbook the past few weeks just in case I saw anything interesting.  Figured I'd go ahead and throw up the better stuff I was able to tweak out.

First couple samples are from the past weekend at the beach.  It's been forever since I've done any gesture drawings of this type and I realized quickly that my speed has semi-deserted me. :)  I was hoping for more action-y type stuff, as it was a beautiful day and not very hot, but everyone was content to loung/stroll it seemed.  Didn't get much of anything dynamic, and what little I did get I had to capture in just a few seconds and then tweak out from memory afterwards:




These next crop of thumbs were from a couple weeks ago at a few airports while my wife and I were traveling.  Most were more interesting looking than the beach stuff, but were also generally a lot of people doing similar things.  One plus about these was that I could typically get more sketch done before folks moved, since you're doing a lot of standing around waiting at the airport, so I was able to flesh these out a little more on the spot for each of these:



At any rate, that's where I'm at so far.  Haven't started playing with any actual posing in Maya yet, though I think a couple from this group could be interesting, but I'm hoping to hit the dog park tomorrow.  That's usually a decent place for people watching and I may get something I like a little better.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I am just in a slouch mood - but I love the people leaning against the post and the one of the person hunched over. Too often that was me after a long week on the road with a heavy laptop bag and not enough coffee to keep me standing.

    Love 'em. They actually look like people compared to mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a fan of the guy leaning against the post, it's a great pose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. Actually, West, I thought they sorta looked like Mr. Peanut, but I'll take your word for it. :)

    I could be convinced of the leaners myself, and I also like the girl swigging her coffee while ambling through the concourse looking at the ceiling(Almost plowed into someone. Totally in her own little bubble. I was almost rooting for it just to sketch the aftermath). The gentleman on his knees building the sandcastle on the beach is sorta interesting too.

    I really wish I'd have been able to translate the hunched over guy w/the drink better. Guy was semi-leaning against a column w/his shoulder and just looked WHIPPED. He was kind of far away though, so I'm not sure exactly what his legs were doing. I guessed....probably wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete